Verse 9 ESV
He will not always chide,
nor will he keep his anger forever.
- Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever, because he also is flesh (in his going astray he is flesh); therefore his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.” Genesis 6:3 NASB
- For I will not contend forever, nor will I always be angry; for the spirit would grow faint before me, and the breath of life that I made. Isaiah 57:16 ESV
- Therefore, go and give this message to Israel. This is what the Lord says: “O Israel, my faithless people, come home to me again, for I am merciful. I will not be angry with you forever. Only acknowledge your guilt. Admit that you rebelled against the Lord your God and committed adultery against him by worshiping idols under every green tree. Confess that you refused to listen to my voice. I, the Lord, have spoken! Jeremiah 3:12-13 NLT
- For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 (NASB)
- For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime (and in his favor is life). Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. Psalm 30:5 ESV
- Go and proclaim these words toward the north and say, ‘Return, faithless Israel,’ declares the LORD; ‘I will not look upon you in anger (cause My countenance to fall). For I am gracious,’ declares the LORD; ‘I will not be angry forever. Jeremiah 3:12 (NASB)
- Who is a God like You, who pardons iniquity and passes over the rebellious act of the remnant of His inheritance? He does not retain His anger forever, because He delights in unchanging love. Micah 7:18 NASB
- I will rejoice in doing them good, and I will plant them in this land in faithfulness, with all my heart and all my soul. Jeremiah 32:41 ESV
- For a brief moment I deserted you, but with great compassion I will gather you. In overflowing anger for a moment I hid my face from you, but with everlasting love I will have compassion on you,” says the LORD, your Redeemer. Isaiah 54:7-8 (ESV)
- Thus says God the LORD, “Who created the heavens and stretched them out, Who spread out the earth and itsoffspring, Who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it, I am the LORD, I havecalled You in righteousness, I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You, and I will appoint You as a covenant to the people, as a light to the nations, to open blind eyes, to bring out prisoners from the dungeon and those who dwell in darkness from the prison. Isaiah 42:5-7 (NASB)
Grace and mercy, Papi, You pour out Your love liberally on all Your creation. You long to rescue us and heal us from our brokenness and our susceptibility to deception and the darkness of the enemy’s lies and bondage. In Your love for us, You long to establish us in You, in relationship, in freedom. Your anger is for us, against all that harms us, it’s purpose is always restoration and righteousness – to reveal Your glory! You establish us in Your heart, in Your loving care, and You grow us into Your holiness and nature – just because You love us with a love that is unquenchable!
I need Your mercy, Papi, You are everything to me. I need the protection of Your righteous anger, to keep my heart soft and close to Yours. I need You to keep me in shadow of Your wing and comfort me and fill me with Yourself. Open my eyes and my heart to remember that You delight in Your love for me and You delight in showering Your love for others through me. It is only as I slow down and meditate and soak in Your forbearing, compassionate, unchanging love for me that I am able to live out the same love for others. Neither Your love nor Your mercy are given because of what is deserved, it is given because it is Your nature, Your heart towards each and every one of us. You do not desire that any one should fall prey to the enemy and turn away from You, You want none to perish, Your heart is always and forever FOR each and every person!
How do I respond to others? Do I view others through God’s eyes of love and compassion, or do I draw back in fear or rejection or judgment, or worse, apathetic indifference? Do I allow myself to be angry on behalf of those who suffer from injustice, even if that injustice is their own imprisonment to darkness and delusion and deception – to evil itself? Do I bring myself fully to BE the hands and feet and voice of Jesus to those God brings into my life? I must learn at every moment to discern the spiritual battle going on around me and to align myself with God’s interests and purposes and plans. If His will is always to bring freedom and light and righteousness to every inch of His creation, am I aligning myself with that purpose and addressing the appropriate powers in each circumstance, bringing freedom to those who are imprisoned, in bondage, blinded to the truth? Am I bringing Good News to every person and every situation?